How to make aloo tikki:
- Take the cooked or defrosted peas (matar) and mash them using a spoon or a fork. Add all the stuffing ingredients except oil and mash briefly. Divide the mixture into 10 equal portions and keep aside.
- Peel the potatoes and mash them very finely into smooth mashed potatoes. Add salt and pepper and knead until properly mixed.
- Divide it into 10 equal portions.
- Now wash and dry your hands and rub them with little oil.
- Take each portion of potato mixture and make a ball.
- Taking one at a time, gently flatten each ball into a round patty of about 1/2-inch thick and place a portion of stuffing in the center and fold the edges together very finely so that mixture does not come out.
- Now very gently flatten it into a 2-inch patty. Repeat the procedure for all pieces.
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in a non-stick pan over a low heat. Slip in the patties, not too many at a time, and pan-fry on both sides till crisp golden brown, adding oil if required, on a very low heat.
- Serve aloo tikki hot with chutney and stirred curd.